MERLIN SOLAR BXD95 Portable Solar Panel (95W)
It might be tempting to believe there is sorcery going on at Merlin Solar, given how rugged and efficient the BXD95 portable solar panels are. But in fact, these heavy duty portable solar panels are the product of good, old-fashioned American research & development. BXD95 portable solar panels are mil-grade and optimized for maximum performance in scattered light & extreme weather conditions.
The BXD95 is a 95W foldable solar panel that is ideally suited to off-road camping adventures due to the glass-free and busbar-free PV cell design. The solar panels are made with redundant PV cell connectivity, which allows them to withstand physical and thermal extremes (aka overlanding).
Merlin's BXD95 solar panels are foldable, compacting down to the size of slim briefcase. Lightweight and thin, BXD95 portable solar panels are easy to stow, even in a fully packed overland rig. Legs to position the panels at an angle to the sun are integrated into backing and include eyelets for anchoring in high wind.
Whether you're looking to explore beyond the convenient powered campsites, or simply needing to provide solar power to your fridge and 12V accessories, the Merlin BXD95 portable solar panel is a practical, reliable solution.
Merlin BXD95 Portable Solar Panel Features
- Industry leading power output- Mono cSi cells optimized for maximum performance in scattered light & extreme weather conditions.
- Designed and engineered in the USA- Fully-integrated, patented MERLIN® technology. Deployed worldwide to extreme environments
- Redundancy by design- Robust module integrity and performance under extreme conditions.
- Rugged and Durable- Military grade design, materials, and approvals
- Emergency power anywhere- Light weight, portable power on board means being ready to handle emergency conditions with increased reliability and increased power availability.
- Foldable and Portable- Easy-pack solar panel includes ergonomic handle, built in legs for each tri-fold section, pockets for cables, and velcro closure.
- Quick Install & Setup- Simple plug and play solar module and compatible with most charge controller brands. Scalable with multiple modules to enable larger system.
Merlin Solar BXD95 Performance vs Other Portable Solar Panels
- 80% Lighter than Glass Panels
- 50X More Durable than Bus-Bar Technology
- 20% More Energy in Real World Conditions
- 2.5X Power Density than Thin Film Technology
Merlin BXD95 Portable Solar Panel Specifications
BXD95 Physical Specifications of Solar Panel
- Dimensions (Folded): 24.7" (L) x 16.8" (W) x 2" (D)
- Dimensions (Unfolded): 52.2" (L) x 24.7" x 0.9" (D)
- Weight: 7.8 lbs
- Cord: 5.5 ft, 8AWG
- Connector: Gray Anderson SB50
Solar Panel Electric Specifications - Merlin BXD95
- Cell Type: Mono-crystalline
- Number of Cells: 42
- Rated Power (PMax): 95W
- Voltage at PMax (Vmp): 23.16 V
- Current at PMax (Imp): 4.29 A
- Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 26.86 V
- Short Circuit Current (Isc): 4.59 A
- Active Area Efficiency: 18.4%
- Temp Coefficient of Isc: 0.05% / °C
- Temp Coefficient of Voc: -0.33% / °C
- Temp Coefficient of PMax: -0.42% / °C
- Operating Temperature: -40 to +85 °C (-40 to +185F)
Architecture of Merlin Photovoltaic Cells
- 95W monocrystalline array (42 arrayed cells)
- Merlin's patented grid technology dwarfs conventional connectivity levels afforded by older solar tech with busbars and also provides a robust & durable foundation analogous to rebar in cement.
- Redundancy of connectivity improves panel durability and resistance to thermomechanical stress (aka overlanding adventures).
- Elimination of failure-prone aluminum busbars results in a more robust and longer-lasting solar panel compared to the more widely available portable solar panels distributed by big-box outdoor stores and Amazon.
Merlin BXD95 Solar Panel FAQs
Is a charge controller needed? Can I use solar panels with a 12V dual battery system?
Yes and Yes. If you don't already have a house battery wired up to accept solar input, then yes, you'll want a charge controller, deep cycle battery and either to do a lot of research and educate yourself on vehicle electrical systems and wiring, or to enlist the services of our talented Build Engineers at Rhino Adventure Gear to put together and install a complete solar package for your vehicle. Full specifications of the BXD95 panel are provided above and can be cross referenced with the specifications of charge controllers you are considering.
What can you power with a BXD95 panel?
On average, when exposed to 6 hours of sunlight in a day, this 95W solar panel, the BDX95 can deliver 570 Wh of power to a Li-ion battery. When paired with a 600 Wh capacity deep cycle battery to store the power collected by the panel, the BXD95W can power your favorite devices on-the-go.
There are too many variables in a 12V system for us to accurately predict how long 570 Wh of power can drive your specific accessories. Remember that Wh are a unit of battery capacity and inform you how long (hours) the battery can deliver a certain amount of power (watts). For example 600 Wh could provide 60W of power for 10 hours. Or 100W of power for 6 hours. Or 6W for 100 hours.. etc.
For a rough idea of how many Watts your 12V accessories consume in an hour of use, do some research online to figure out the power draw of your accessories in the conditions you use them. Keep in mind that the power draw of a fridge/freezer depends on the temperature it is set to, as well as the ambient/outdoor temperature. The formula Watts = Volts x Amps may come in handy. You got this! And, when in doubt, there's always the tried and true method of experimentation to derive the answer empirically! In other words.. try it out and learn how long it lasts with your usage conditions!
Our shop vehicles have a variety of set ups, but we've run a 50QT ARB Fridge freezer at 34C indefinitely and charge cell phones at night when we use the BXD95 to power a deep cycle Li-ion battery via a Red Arc BCDC-1225D.
Who is Merlin? Where are they based and why haven't we heard of them?
First and foremost, Merlin Solar focuses on making rugged, high performance solar panels. We've personally visited their San Jose factory and can attest to their passion and dedication toward manufacturing outstanding solar products. Merlin's style is more to let their products speak for themselves. Consequentially they may not be as hyped up as some of the other solar panels on the market. As the overlanding community grows and the need for rugged, reliable high-performance solar grows with it, we fully expect the Merlin's quality panels to gain traction and popularity.
PLEASE NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure you fully understand how solar panels will integrate with your 12V system (starter battery, aux battery, charge controller, powered appliances etc). There are nearly infinite set up options possible, certainly more than we can describe here. There are excellent educational resources about 12V systems and solar panels available online. Additional items such as a REDARC DC-DC converter, lithium aux battery, solar charge converter, or wiring connectors may be needed depending on how your setup is configured and how you intend to use it. The SolarHawk solar panel is not designed to have a phone, light, or fridge plugged directly into the panel output cable; rather it works as part of a 12V battery system.
If you currently only have the battery that came with your vehicle and you are looking to install solar for camping, please reach out and we can discuss installation services for an all-inclusive 12V system package/solar-ready dual battery setup.
As with all Rhino Adventure Gear products, we offer installation at either of our two California shops- located in San Marcos, San Diego & Fremont, San Francisco.