PLEASE NOTE: Drilling into the hardtop is required to install the Wrangler JL Backbone System. Butyl mastic and hardware are used for a secure and leak free fit.
If you prefer a Wrangler JL Backbone Kit with a Pioneer Platform (instead of these black Vortex Cross Bars), please check out the Wrangler JL Pioneer Platform + Backbone. If you're thinking this looks awesome, but you have a Wrangler JK, check out the JK Pioneer Platform + Backbone.
Wranger JL Vortex Cross Bars + Backbone Rack System Overview
The wait is over for Jeep JL owners. Rhino-Rack's Wrangler JL Backbone Mounting System is now available. The Backbone provides internal skeletal support frames for the included mounting plates. Interior integration of the Backbone support frames creates a series of 3 incredibly robust base mounting points on each side of JL hardtop roof.
Heavy duty RLT600 metal legs with Rhino-Rack's brilliant Quick Mount/Trigger Release technology are then attached to the base mounting points. Lastly, a set of 3 black Vortex Cross Bars are mounted to the legs. After the initial fitment, the RLT600 legs allow the cross bars to quickly be removed or re-installed by one person using no tools. With the Backbone + 3 Vortex Cross Bars system you can carry 265 lbs on the roof of your Jeep JL.
Rhino-Rack Wrangler JL Vortex Cross Bars + Backbone Rack System Kit Components and Specifications
Rack System Kit Components
- Backbone Mounting System for Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door Hardtops (drilling required)
- 6x RLT600 Legs (Quick Mount w/ Trigger Release)
- 6x Quick Mount Vortex 5mm spacers to properly fit Vortex cross bars to legs
- 6x Quick Mount RLT600 Fit Kit rubber base for legs
- 3x black Vortex Cross Bars (each cross bar is 59" long)
Rack System Kit Specifications
- Cross Bar Dimensions: 59" (L)
- On Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 219 lbs
- Off Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 174 lbs *Due to the extreme forces acting on loads when driving on unsealed roads, Rhino-Rack reduces the stated off-road capacities to allow for a safety factor of 1.5. Forces and load capacities vary with trail conditions and speed of travel.
- Static Load Capacity: 748 lbs
- Warranty: Lifetime
Rhino-Rack Wrangler JL Vortex Cross Bars + Backbone Rack System Kit Features
- The Rhino-Rack Backbone Mounting System allows you to tap into the interior support frame of the Wrangler JL hardtop, so you can maximize your carrying capacity and safely carry heavier loads- rated up to 219 lbs on road and 174 lbs off-road for 4 door JL Hardtops.
- The strength of the backbone system is complemented by the simplicity of 3 heavy duty vortex cross bars, which maintain the strength of the backbone but add minimal weight themselves, leaving more carrying capacity for your gear.
- A lockable cover plate protects the locking mechanism and is Masterkey compatible.
- Aerodynamically designed with vortex generating rubber stripping on crossbars to minimize wind drag and noise on the road.
We can design custom roof rack setups for most vehicles to fit your specific storage and or roof top tent requirements. Some of our most popular products are available online, but for a complete review of our capabilities, please reach out via phone or email. We're more than happy to walk you through various design applications for your custom build.