PLEASE NOTE: Drilling into the hardtop is required to install the Wrangler JL Backbone System. Butyl mastic and hardware are used for a secure and leak free fit. This kit is compatible with the 2021 JLU as long as it has the standard three-piece hardtop. It is not compatible with the new Sky One-Touch power top.
If you like the Backbone system for the JL but would prefer cross bars (instead of the Pioneer Platform), have a look at the Jeep JL Vortex Cross Bars + Backbone Kit. If you're thinking this looks awesome, but you have a Wrangler JK not a JL, check out the JK Pioneer Platform + Backbone.
Rhino-Rack Jeep JL Pioneer Platform + Backbone Highlight Video
Video Credit: Rhino-Rack
Wranger JL Hardtop Pioneer Platform + Backbone Rack System Overview
The wait is over for Jeep JL owners. Rhino-Rack's Wrangler JL Backbone Mounting System is now available. The Backbone provides internal skeletal support frames for the included mounting plates. Interior integration of the Backbone support frames creates a series of 3 incredibly robust base mounting points on each side of JL hardtop roof.
Heavy duty metal legs (there are two leg variations to choose from for the JL) are then attached to the 3 base mounting points. Lastly, a 76" x 56" Pioneer Platform is mounted to the legs. With the Backbone + Pioneer Platform you can carry 265 lbs on the roof of your Wrangler JL- and have access to the full suite of Pioneer Platform accessories and bracket sets.
Rhino-Rack Wrangler JL Pioneer Platform + Backbone Rack System Kit Components and Specifications
Rack System Kit Components
- Backbone Mounting System for Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door Hardtops (drilling required)
- Choice of RLT600 Legs (Quick Mount w/ Trigger Release) OR RCL Legs (Standard)
- Quick Mount 5mm spacers to properly fit Pioneer Platform to legs
- 72" x 56" Pioneer Platform
Leg Options for the Jeep JL Backbone + Pioneer Platform
- Both the RLT600 Legs and the RCL Legs are locking and require a key to remove.
- RLT600 Legs are engineered to be easily removed by one person using no tools after the initial set up is completed.
- RCL Legs are not quick release, and are more time consuming to remove and re-install.
Rack System Kit Specifications
- Platform Dimensions: 72" (L) x 56" (W) x 1.5" (H)
- On Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 191 lbs
- Off Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 138 lbs *Due to the extreme forces acting on loads when driving on unsealed roads, Rhino-Rack reduces the stated off-road capacities to allow for a safety factor of 1.5. Forces and load capacities vary with trail conditions and speed of travel.
- Static Load Capacity: 720 lbs
- Warranty: 5 years
Rhino-Rack Wrangler JL Pioneer Platform + Backbone Rack System Kit Features
- The Rhino-Rack Backbone Mounting System allows you to tap into the interior support frame of the Wrangler JL hardtop, so you can maximize your carrying capacity and safely carry heavier loads- rated up to 191 lbs on road and 138 lbs off-road for 4 door JL Hardtops.
- The sleek and stylish Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System is the ultimate low profile load carrying solution for your Jeep- with available add-ons including rails, rollers, and accessory attachment brackets.
- Aerodynamically designed to minimize wind drag and noise on the road.
- Black powder-coated design makes life easier by allowing you to load and unload your equipment in moments.
- Made from reinforced nylon and aluminum that provide lightweight strength that is non-corrosive, incredibly durable, and won't rust or fade. Tested in the harshest conditions around the world- so you know it can be trusted.
- Loading and unloading your equipment is easy. Simply slide your gear onto the Pioneer Platform and tie them down to the bars. The best thing about the Pioneer Platform is that it has been specifically designed to carry existing Rhino-Rack accessories including luggage bags, jerry can holders, spare wheel holders, shovels and loads more.
Installation Video of Backbone and Pioneer Platform on Jeep JL
Don't have a 4 door Jeep Wrangler JL Hardtop, but interested in the Backbone System or Pioneer Platform? Let us know your vehicle information, or just call us, and if the part exists, we will get it for you.
We can design custom roof rack setups for most vehicles to fit your specific storage and or rooftop tent requirements. Some of our most popular products are available online, but for a complete review of our capabilities, please reach out via phone or email. We're more than happy to walk you through various design applications for your custom build.