The 2X has almost all of the same design features as iKamper's original Skycamp (4-person) Roof Top Tent, including the speedy 60-second setup time. The one crucial difference is that the 2X does not have the fold-out floor that expands the foot print of the Skycamp 4X RTT when it is opened. Without this feature, the 2X is sized to be comfortable for sleeping 2 adults, rather than a whole family. You can think of the 2X as a mini, or compact iKamper Skycamp. But please note, the size of the roof top tents when closed is exactly the same. So, when closed, the 2X and the Skycamp look identical to one another, and they take up the same footprint on top of your vehicle.
Which iKamper Roof Top Tent is best for you? Skycamp or Skycamp "2X"?
For adventure enthusiasts with smaller vehicles or who don't need the expansive interior space of the standard Skycamp, the 2X is a great way to get a sleek iKamper Roof Top Tent at a lower price point. Without the fold-out floor, the 2X tent weighs in at just 120 lbs, which is 35 lbs (almost 25%!) lighter than the standard Skycamp. This makes it a little bit easier to install and uninstall if that's something you plan on doing each summer/winter.
For families that love to adventure together, the full size Skycamp is a the uncontested winner. The cavernous interior space is more than worth the added 35 lbs on your roof, and it's cheaper (and faster to set up) than getting a 2X with an annex and cots to accommodate the kids down on the ground. Plus, the family bonding that occurs when everyone is under one roof telling ghost stories or reading bedtime books by lantern light are part of what makes family adventures so special, right?
In our opinion, the king size mattress of the standard Skycamp is a valuable feature even if you don't have kids, since it gives you a ton of interior space in the tent, which can be nice to hang out in while on long journeys during inclement weather or during early evenings. The magic of fitting a king size bed inside a low profile, easy-open, hard shell roof top tent is a huge part of what has made iKamper explode into the roof top tent market- the fold-out floor of the full size Skycamp is genius and allows the best of both worlds for those who want a big tent and ultra fast set up.
That said, we would recommend the 2X over the Skycamp for customers who:
- Really don't need or want the large interior space of the Skycamp
- Are sensitive to the 18% price difference
- Have vehicles with lower dynamic load capacity rack systems
If rack concerns are your only reason for getting the 2X over the full size Skycamp, get in touch to talk with us about rack system options- we can set you up with a rack that will handle the 155 lb full size Skycamp.
Ultimately, whether you decide to go with the full size Skycamp or this 2X model, you can be sure you're getting a high quality hard shell roof top tent. Both models are now in their 2nd generation of production (though there have also been numerous intra-generation improvements), and both the Skycamp and the 2X have all the same thoughtful touches that an iteratively improved product should have.
Please see below for a complete run down of the latest and greatest innovative roof top tent design upgrades from the folks at iKamper.
iKamper Roof Top Tent Shipping & Installation Options
**FREE SHIPPING** to California, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon.
**PLEASE NOTE** Roof top tents shipped to customers outside CA, AZ, NV, OR will be delivered to your nearest local freight terminal- residential shipping service is available for an additional fee.
Many customers choose to pick-up their Roof Top Tents at our San Diego or San Francisco Bay Area Showrooms and take advantage of our installation services. Just bring your vehicle equipped with an appropriate roof rack and we will mount your new iKamper for you! We also sell and install roof racks suitable for off road travel with a roof top tent. Please get in touch to discuss rack systems and installation services tailored to your needs!
iKamper Skycamp 2X Roof Top Tent Features & Dimensions
- Set up & pack up in less than 1 minute (see video at bottom of page)
- You can leave your sleeping bags and pillows inside the 2X
- Dimensions (Closed): 54.3" (W) x 85.8" (L) x 12.5” (H)
- Dimensions (Open): 54.2" x 85.8" x 43”
- 2" thick super high density memory foam mattress is 51" x 76" (for comparison, the full size Skycamp RTT's mattress is 82.6" x 74.8")
- Breathable 300 gsm poly-cotton canvas tent fabric (see below for more info)
- Long ladder: accommodates vehicles with roof-racks up to 90" from the ground
- Locking stainless steel shell locks secure the shell closed when not in use
- Waterproof zippers are ready to handle the elements
- Skyview Window: fall asleep looking up at the stars..... Or zip closed a canvas panel if the moonlight disturbs you!
- Design, development, and manufacturing certified to international standards for quality (ISO 9001) and environmental management (ISO 14001).
- Compatible with numerous storage, awning, and annex room iKamper Accessories.
Recent Upgrades to the 2nd Generation of iKamper Skycamp 2X (2-person Roof Top Tent)
- A World Map graphic on the fabric inside the roof of the tent.
- Improvements to the mounting hardware. The 2X can be mounted on a wide variety of vehicles and roof racks. As always, we can help with iKamper roof top tent installations.
- The option to pop open the side windows using the new canopy window poles. Windows of the Skycamp 2X have 3 layers: clear vinyl, mesh screen, and a polyester outer layer that can be extended using the provided poles to make canopy windows.
- Ladder rungs are now level to the ground when the ladder is extended to its proper 30° angle, making it more comfortable and safer to climb up and into your roof top tent without shoes on.
Skycamp 2X Poly-Cotton Canvas Tent Material Information
- Canvas is water resistant, breathable, insulating & long lasting
- Poly-Cotton canvas tents are fire retardant (FR) treated to meet CA safety requirements
- Made from thick, 300 gsm Super Density Poly-Cotton Canvas
- iKamper's Poly-Cotton canvas tent is breathable (reduced condensation) and insulates very well. You won’t get as hot on a warm day, nor as cold when it is chilly.
- Thickness of fabric means not just better insulation properties, but also less loud flapping of tent material in the wind, so you can enjoy a quiet night camping if there’s a breeze.
- Canvas fabric lasts longer and is more resistant to harmful UV rays than synthetic materials.
- Poly-Cotton canvas is water resistant, but care should be taken to dry out the material before closing 2X to avoid mildew. If you have to pack it up damp, be sure to open it up as soon as you can to allow dry it out.
iKamper Roof Top Tent Warranty
- iKamper will replace any defective parts for the first 2 years free of charge
- After this 2 year period (for an additional 3 years), any replacement parts will be sold at the minimal cost- the cost of production.
Choose from two Shell material options for your iKamper 2X Roof Top Tent
Standard Fiberglass Shell (Black or White)
- Strong, light weight, high-gloss, and aerodynamic- fiberglass has been the go-to shell material for hard shell roof top tents for decades
- The fiberglass shell of the Skycamp 2X is constructed of dual layers of fiber-reinforced plastic, with a thin layer of air trapped between the double layers of the shell. The double-wall shell design offers superior insulation, which reduces condensation and keeps your tent more comfortable
- Choose between black or white, whatever goes better with your vehicle and accessories.
- Each shell is hand inspected for flaws before shipping
Line-x Coated Fiberglass Shell ("Skycamp Rocky Black")
- Line-x is a durable, long-lasting, spray-on protective coating that is often used for bed-liners of trucks and utility vehicles.
- Provides matte black finish
- Helps protect your iKamper RTT from scratches and impact damage during off-road driving through overhead brush.
- Line-x provides UV-protection insuring that the fiberglass shell is protected from long term exposure to possibly harmful UV-rays
iKamper Skycamp 2X One Minute Set Up Video
Video Credit: iKamper.
Please note the iKamper Skycamp 2X featured in this video is the "1.0 model", not the new "2.0 model", so new features, like the side canopy windows, are not displayed in the video. See the product photos for details on the appearance of the 2nd gen Skycamp 2X.